Happy New Year, everyone! It’s taken me a while to post this since not only were the holidays crazed for me, but I came down with a nasty bout of bronchitis that completely wiped out my voice. With all the Christmas parties, December birthdays, traveling and other social events, it couldn’t have come at a worse time. There I was, just getting better from the flu and flying home while sick (which is misery, by the way) and I forced myself to go to a birthday party because I love my friends that much, but I pushed myself, and a week later I was at the emergency room on Christmas Day getting diagnosed with acute bronchitis and finally getting the much needed antibiotics and care. I should have listened to my body the moment I came down with the flu and taken better care of my self. Why am I saying all this? Well, because I’ve given it a lot of thought, and this entire experience has inspired my New Year’s Resolutions. I know that there are a lot of New Year’s Resolution cliches out there, like lose weight and work out more, but since I already do those daily, I’ve come up with some of my own that are really important to me.
MY NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTIONS:
1. TAKE BETTER CARE OF MYSELF. (duh you knew that was coming). I’m not talking about pampering myself like getting manis and pedis (you know I already do that, ha!) but I really mean, taking care of my health. Don’t push myself when I know I need to take it easy, sleep more (good luck to me), eat better, drink more water, drink less, and GET UP to do my morning workouts! When I do even just that, that sets the tone for my day in terms of productivity!
2. SIMPLIFY. This is a HUGE one for me. We live in a world of utter chaos! Why add to it? I’m really going to make an effort in eating simple foods, foods I can pronounce. If I can’t read it, I won’t eat it. I’ve been hitting the juice bar more, which I hope is adding to my overall health. Not only am I simplifying the things I choose to put in my body, but even just the people and the things I choose to surround myself with. It’s ok to distance yourself from people/ influences that you don’t find is adding to your well being or happiness.
3. DE-CLUTTER. Okay this really is still more in the category of SIMPLIFYING, but since it has to do with fashion, I decided to separate it. I really really need to de-clutter my closet. It’s gotten to a point where I can’t find anything. I literally live in chaos! So my goal is to really go through all my things and start tossing/ donating/gifting/being the best big sister to my little sister cuz she’s about to get a bunch of old OOTDs! If your world is in a constant state of chaos, then so will your mind and body. Time to restore order and peace, I say! (This also applies to all old paperwork you have been hanging on to..receipts..bills.. etc. Everything is online now…so time to toss those too!)
4. BE PRESENT. We are all a bit guilty of this. I know I am. In an age where technology rules everything, how common is it nowadays to go to a restaurant or a party and see a group of people hanging out but all typing away at their phones?? We no longer are being present because we are too busy connecting with people via Instagram, Facebook, Skype, KIK, texting, whatever it is. We are no longer connecting with people organically, which is good ole face to face interaction. Staying connected has been reduced to just liking and commenting on your friends’ posts. It’s so sad! I will seriously try my hardest to NOT check my Instagram feed when I’m, say, at a lunch with a girlfriend I haven’t seen in a while. And if you’re that friend with me, seriously try to do the same for me! Let’s help each other!
5. DON’T NEGLECT MY SKIN. This one’s simple. ALWAYS wash my face before bed, use sunscreen during day, moisturize, drink water, take my vitamins. The end.
And if I fail at any of these, I’ll just strive to do better tomorrow! Besides, what’s that saying again? “Don’t look to the past…you’re not going there!” xoxo
What are your New Year’s Resolutions?
Leather Jacket: Mike & Chris
Black Waxed Jeans: Flying Monkey
Tank: James Perse
Button Down Shirt Thingy: RAILS
Beanie: Veronica M
Shoes: Steve Madden
Lips: Adorable by Kat Von D